Translate

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Ann is Dancing on her Quilts

It has been awhile since I've blogged. I spent a wonderful week teaching at Empty Spools Seminars at Asilomar Conference Center in Pacific Grove CA. The workshop was 5 days with the same group of women, it's a very creative time. To make it more interesting, we had a  beautiful view of the ocean, beach and surfers out the window of my classroom. For a girl from WI, this was great.

After being home a few days, an advance copy of my book arrived on a FedEx truck. A little while later, flowers were delivered from my publisher, C&T. Here I am with the very first copy of my book, a card from all my editors and a beautiful Azalea plant.



I feel like I'm dancing. This is now two books that I've had published in a very short time. The title of my new quilting book is Dancing with Thread. The title is similar to my first book, Coloring with Thread. This first book was about free-motion embroidery. Now, the Dancing book is about free-motion quilting.

I love the quilting process, in fact it is my favorite part of making a quilt. As the wonderful patterns and textures start appearing on the surface of my quilt, my designs and embroidery come to life. I find this very exciting and when all is going well I feel like I'm dancing on my quilt. In this book, I've shared many of my quilts,  ideas and tips to help others become more free spirited quilters. Anyone that would like to machine quilt will find something of interest and help in my book.

You can't purchase this book yet. The book in my picture is only one of 10-12 copies in the USA. The rest are on a ship somewhere on the Pacific. The exciting part for me, is that after a year of writing the book, another year of editing,  the book has finally become a reality. The quilt on the cover is a detail shot of Summer Sanctuary http://www.annfahl.com/ann2/quilts.php?key=127  which just won a "Best Pictorial Quilt" at MAQF 2010 in Williamsburg,VA. It has been a good week for me.

In the meantime, I'm busy embroidering a new blue quilt with trillium. It's wonderful to be working on a beautiful new piece, the sun is shining, and everything seems to be going well in my life.

Stay tuned, for my announcement about book availablity.

Ann

4 comments:

Shout4Joy said...

I'll be waiting for that announcement! This sounds like I book I would love as I am becoming more and more enamored of the actual quilting process :) but still a bit shaky on the execution.

sewmuch2do said...

Dear Ann,

Congrats on your book and your award at the MAQF in Hampton. A beautiful work and I look forward to your book release and other gems!

Pickleweed said...

I have preordered the book on Amazon since it was announced. I can't wait to see it. Loved your first book. Is there going to be a video in the future for this one too? Joany

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new book and award for the quilt. I can't wait to buy the book. I took a class with you in Irvine, CA with Orange County Quilters Guild a few years ago. Your teaching style was very inspiring. Thanks for sharing your talent.