Translate

Saturday, June 19, 2010

My First Commission--Some Ann Fahl History

Today I thought I'd share my very first quilt commission with you.I made it for my aunt when she redecorated her living room in soft green with red accents. In the early 1980's, I was fascinated with stained glass applique. I found a pattern in a magazine, I'm sorry I don't know which one. I made the four blocks, hand quilted them and mounted them on wood stretcher strips. I don't know what the reason for the stretcher strips was, perhaps so it looked more like a large painting. The fabrics include muslin, commercial prints, taffeta and silk-look fabrics. Mounted it is 31 x 32 inches.

At the time, I think my aunt paid me $70 for my work. I was thrilled.

Several summers ago, she redecorated again, and asked me if I wanted it back! I didn't even remember it, because it had been so long ago. So now it hangs in my studio, to remind me of my humble beginnings. Actually, I like the simplicity of the piece. The only thing I'd do differently now, is to quilt it much more heavily and bind it.

So here it is for all the world to see. I have never shown it to anyone before, as it was made before I took slides or photos of my work. Now that I again own it, I can show it to you.



The quilting is finished on my new daffodol quilt. It has been lots of fun at each step of the creation, to see my idea come to life. I allowed myself several breaks from the quilting, and sat out on my deck, hoping to see my little hummingbirds come to the feeder. I was treated to four visits. The colorful male came 3 times and the female just once. They are checking me out by first sitting in a tree about 10 feet from the feeder. I must think of some names for these beautiful little creatures. How about Gertrude and Heathcliff of Red Skelton fame?

Ann

No comments: