Translate

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Time to Organize for 2011

Now that Thanksgiving is over, and most of the leftovers have been eaten, it is time to spend a little time deciding which quilt shows I will enter next year. Having my work in competitions across the country is important for me; it's a big challenge, good publicity, and a possible source of additional income.

I make a list of quilts that I've made the last 2 or 3 years that are competition worthy, and list the shows and their entry deadlines and exhibit dates.  This takes a couple of hours, but I've worked out a tentative schedule for my quilts for the first half of next year. I do this every year to help me keep track of all the shows and what quilts will be where!  I've printed off all the entry info and forms, so I have everything I need as the deadline nears.

If you enter quilt competitions, it is the right time to organize. Soon the holiday season will be upon us, and there won't be as much time to take care of administrative type tasks.  Then you'll be ready for those early January deadlines.

How do you keep track?

Ann

5 comments:

Carol B in NH said...

Ann, how does a new person (well fairly new) go about even finding out about a show list?

annieQ said...

Google "quilt shows" and lots of things will turn up. Look in the "contest and places to exhibit" lists in the back of most quilt magazines. Lyric Kinnard has a page on her website that lists everything by date. Here is the link to her site. http://lyrickinard.com/enter_shows.html

Moni said...

How do you even know if a quilt is show worthy - are there any guidelines? (yes, I am a newbie!)

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I'd love to be able to make a quilt show worthy quilt. . .but, with each quilt, I seem to have some issue. . .color, piecing, . . . well, you get the picture. Maybe someday I'll be able to be more precise. I'd love to have my work hanging in the same show as you!

annieQ said...

If you are interested in entering competitions, it is a good idea to work on improving your skills. Take a class or read whatever you can find on the techniques you like to use. Then....practice all the time. Find someone in your local guild or a teacher at your local shop that would be willing to mentor you. it takes time and practice to become as good as you can be at quilting.

Is there an art quilt organization in your area? It is valuable thing to find a group of people that like to do the same things you do! When you work in a group, you can all grow together, while sharing everything you learn.

Start entering your work in local shows, if you do well, then enter something bigger. This is pretty much what I have done over the years.