Translate

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Quilts in Color, part 4

This blog features Barbara J. Schneider from Northern IL.

January 29-March 25, 2012
6501 Third Ave.
Kenosha, WI  53143
262-653-0481
hours 1-4:00 Tuesday through Sunday
All the artists have gotten a "fireplace" shot.  This one features 2 of Barbara Schneider's pieces from her "Reflections series.

Barbara J. Schneider  says  “I began quilting in 1996 and rediscovered the pleasure of working with cloth, paint, dye, and thread. My background is in visual design and I worked for many years as a designer in the publishing industry. I take lots of photos of found objects, nature, shadows and tactile details. These as well as my underlying interest in the Japanese concept of Wabi-Sabi have had a strong influence on the direction of my work.  I have an extensive background in surface design and teach as well as exhibit my work nationally and internationally. My artwork is in both private and public collections.”
 
Her Reflections series explores the concept of reflection and how to capture the essence of images that are not physically there, images made of light and movement, images that change. Her depiction of water is what draws me to her work.  She also uses other images, but in this exhibit she featured her water pieces. 
Quilt by Barbara J. Schneider,  from the Reflections Var. 1

Her work is an exploration and interpretation of natural images by enlarging and reshaping them. She collects leaves, pods, flowers, grasses and look closely at their structure and shape. In particular, Barbara likes to collect these natural objects at the end of summer when they have begun to wither and fragment. Looking at them closely and then enlarging them allows her to see them as sculptural objects. She captures the play of light upon surfaces, and shaping the pieces introduces a new element – light and shadow interacting with the undulating surfaces. 
A corner of Barbara J. Schneider's gallery, quilts from the Reflections series
Quilt by Barbara J. Schneider, Reflections Var 11
Even removing the color and designing in black and white her work is fascinating.  This quilt is very wide, but not tall, and completely filled a wall in her upstairs gallery with a Lake Michigan view. 

One other thing, Barbara included some of her 3 yard pieces, which she has printed and manipulated in many ways.  In the gift shop at the Anderson, there are several beautiful wall pieces for sale.

Barbara is from Northern Illinois. She teaches, lectures and exhibits her work extensively. http://www.barbaraschneider-artist.com

Come and visit the Anderson before this exhibit changes. 

My next artist featured will be someone without a web presence:  Rhonda Rodero.  Her work is wonderful.

Ann Fahl

1 comment:

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Lovely works...I wish I was that talented..I love to make quilts; but the art side is not part of me. It is so nice to be able to see these...thank you