Translate

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Have Problems with Applique?

Detail of Spring Gift by Ann Fahl
Most of you know that my work centers around applique and embroidery.  Currently I am writing a booklet about the way I applique on the machine. It will be similar to my current booklets on Bias Binding and Mastering Metallics.  Included are instructions on how I use 6 different methods; some traditional, some with feed dogs down. It is important that I include some problem solving techniques.  I know what my problems are, but what are yours?

Detail of Spring Gift by Ann Fahl
So I am asking you for your help.  Please let me know what problems you have when appliqueing a quilted project. Thread challenges can be included.  I will try to include as many answers as possible in the completed booklet, due early 2013. Thank you very much.

Ann Fahl


6 comments:

Kathy said...

Thanks for asking!

One reason I don't applique by machine is the puckering of the background fabric, so maybe some discussion of stabilizers and how to use them would help.

Also, I don't know if you're talking about fusible web, but I've always been leery of using it for things that will be washed a lot, although I use it a lot in wool applique. Maybe you could give some guidance on that.

Terry said...

I recently did a small project for AAQI and had some fraying around a small object...I was using fusible appliqué with very close zigzag stitching around it.

Another problem is sometimes when free motion work over appliqué it seems to pull on the back.

Thanks!

Robbie said...

My biggest problem with hand applique is trying to determine how much or how little to quilt the piece!
I think providing advice or suggestions on whether to hand applique, use buttonhole/machine stitch or fusible edge suggestions based on type of look you are after (e.g. arty, traditional, etc.).

Your work and workmanship is outstanding.

California Fiber artist and composer said...

Problems I have with raw edge machine applique include "hairies" i.e. edges fraying and peeking threads from beneath stitches; getting perfect perky points and inside corners especially with blanket stitch and decorative stitches. In turned edge and raw applique getting perfectly smooth curves.

Jacqueline Bahí said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jacqueline Bahí said...

Acabo de ver esta entrada en el blog. Nunca he aplicado a máquina i no sé por donde empezar ¿puedes ayudarme? Te mandaré mis problemas con la aplicación. Gracias.