Translate

Friday, May 31, 2013

Winona on Ice

This is part 2 of a blog about small photo quilts.

After making the two smaller quilts, I printed this larger winter scene in 2 halves and pieced them together, to make a larger quilt for myself. I added two outer borders to frame the scene.  It is called Winona on Ice.
Winona on Ice, a quilted photo by Ann Fahl, © 20 x 15.5 inches
This photo was taken several years ago, and I always wanted to quilt it for myself. This is the view of Winona Lake IN when you first arrive.  Now that the quilt is finished; when I wake each morning, the first thing I see is this quilt! It is the next best thing to actually being at Winona! I like this photo so much that I'm thinking of having it printed on a larger piece of fabric!

Again, using the Bottom Line thread (Superior Thread)  in the top and bobbin, gave me quilted texture without covering up some of the tiny details. It was important for me to carefully detail all the cottages across the lake; as I know most of the people that live in them. I chose a light gray for the sky, but right above the horizon there a subtle orange glow, so I used a soft coral thread for the quilting. If you look closely you will see the shape of a ginkgo leave quilted in the upper right hand corner of the photo and border. So with this fine thread you can achieve interesting effects with machine quilting.

The frozen lake is quilted with light gray. The weeds in the foreground are detailed with Superior Threads # 855 Rainbow thread. It was the perfect choice. This thread is quite a bit heavier, so it gave great ragged texture to all the tall reeds and weeds on the shore nearest the viewer.

Larger photos of the quilt are on my website.

The photo was printed on "Printed Treasures" by Dritz.

After this quilt was completed, I felt sufficiently "warmed up" and ready to tackle a larger design; so I  made  End of the Hockey Season! This was a subject of many blogs.

Ann Fahl

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Your use of the coral thread to enhance the glow of the horizon is just right. Really creates mood. Nicely done. Love the cattails in the foreground.

Diane Gaudynski said...

Love this! The coral thread is perfect, so soft and pretty without taking away from the black and white old photo look. Also like the texture on the grasses with the heavier thread. I bet this was so much fun to do.

Lucy James @Online PhD in Psychology said...

This is absolutely beautiful. The details and attention in this quilt are amazing. Well done! I have never had a chance to visit this lake but if the view looks like this it might be time for a road trip.


Please visit My Webblog